Sunday, July 20, 2014

Map of the Deadwood region before statehood

This is an enlarged section of an 1884 Lawrence County map, showing a few of the mills and mines around the Lead, Central, and Deadwood area.  Toward the upper right of the map (just south of the old Centennial Park Hotel and Post Office) is Cliff House.  We're wondering if that might be the site of what later became known as the Half-Way House between Spearfish and Deadwood.  The map is included in the 1884 Andrea's Historical Atlas of Dakota Territory. (Thanks to the Case Library at Black Hills State University)