Early in the last century, probably around 1920 or so, a new park pavilion was built in the Spearfish City Park, located near the mouth of Spearfish Canyon.
The frame structure has seen a wide variety of community events over its nearly century-long history. From chili feeds and boxing matches to roller skating and wedding receptions. But it’s probably best known throughout Lawrence County and across the region as a really hot spot for dancing. Henry Phillips and the Ambassadors out of Lead were among the more popular local groups playing at the pavilion during the Big Band era.
In the 1960s it was Rock ‘n Roll that stole the limelight. The Spearfish Park Pavilion – now named Tretheway Pavilion for former Mayor Wilbur Tretheway, who helped save the structure – attracted a long list of top-notch national performers.
Read more about the Spearfish Park Pavilion.